Monday, September 27, 2010

I think it's time to go to sleep.

It's one of those enjoyable autumn nights here in Iowa. It's about 51 degrees, a slight breeze blowing through the open windows. It's definitely a comfortable temp.

I can't stop yawning, but I just don't want to go to bed just yet.

First, I can't stop looking out my kitchen window, the one over the sink, facing east. See, the moon's out there right now, a waning gibbous, kinda bean shaped right now. Sometimes wispy clouds partially cover it, making it look like what Liv and I call a "Halloween Moon." For the moment, the clouds have floated away and it's just a kinda bean shaped moon.

Second, I'm homesick for my home in New Mexico. I think it started at dinner. I'd made some poblano corn chowder (using a Poblano Corn Chowder Starter from Williams-Sonoma), and some jalapeƱo chedder corn bread muffins.

The chowder was really smoky and had just a bit of spice to it, I guess from the roasted chiles. While it simmered on the stove, it smelled like a New Mexican kitchen should smell - smokey, spicy, like autumn. And then topped off with a garnish of applewood smoked bacon bits, some green onions, and a wedge of lime . . . I could've closed my eyes and imagined myself in my kitchen back in Alamogordo.

So I've been thinking about New Mexico ever since I started preparing dinner. Especially since I've also been sipping a glass of the BEST merlot I've ever tasted . . . a bottle I saved from . . . where else? New Mexico.

While I enjoy the cool weather here and the fall colors on the leaves, I miss the Sacramento Mountains. I think I will ALWAYS miss them. 

How can you not miss this view?!

Sacramento Mountains, looking south, Alamogordo, NM




Here's a view from my backyard.



Cool storm clouds, aren't they?



 And my New Mexico kitchen:











I dunno why, but I always seem to miss New Mexico when it's evening or nighttime, or when I'm really tired.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...