Monday, May 16, 2011

Oh, How I Miss New Mexico

On US 54 North, somewhere in between El Paso, TX and Alamogordo, NM

I happened to find this photo over the weekend. I took it (through the window of the moving car as Andrew drove) while Andrew, Livie, and I still lived in New Mexico. We were heading back from my grandparents' house in El Paso, TX. I think this was approximately halfway between El Paso and Alamogordo. This was one of a few "cloudy" days we had in the Southwest - and I think it may have even been raining waaaaay off in the distance. (Alamogordo, on average, enjoys approximately 330 days of sunshine per year!)

It's days like this (when I unexpectedly come across a forgotten New Mexican photo) that I really miss New Mexico . . . that I feel saudade for my former home. (For those of you new to my blog, saudade is a Portuguese word roughly meaning: longing, yearning, homesickness, nostalgia, wishing for something that may possibly never be obtained again. Click here for the Wikipedia definition.)

Ahh, well. I will get back there one day - even if it is just to visit. And in the meantime, I know this: while I may have left New Mexico, New Mexico has not left me.

2 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I hear you! One of these days I hope to go back to the desert.

LBB said...

I have never been. I'll have to put it on my list :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...