Friday, April 22, 2011

Memory Lane Friday - Earth Day

Somehow with all my schoolwork piling up as we head towards the final month of the semester, I completely forgot about writing a Memory Lane Friday post last week.

But this week I'm here! It's partly due to procrastination, partly due to my needing a break from the mountain of reading that's making me feel cross-eyed!

Anyway, this week's topic is "Earth Day."

We don't do anything specific for the Earth on "Earth Day." But we do try doing things every day.

For example, we try to recycle on a regular basis. Our community has limits on what they'll accept in our recycling bin every week (they collect the stuff in the recycling bin every Wednesday morning along the trash). But we make sure to put what they do accept in our blue recycling bin so they'll collect it every week. They usually accept paper/cardboard, aluminum cans, plastic (like bottles, but not plastic bags). They don't take glass, so Andrew has to take that separately to the recycling place on Saturdays (usually every 2-4 weeks). 

We also like supporting local farmers' markets, buying fresh, organic produce, or buying organic stuff at the grocery store (like organic milk, yogurt, and certain fruits, like apples or grapes).

Our favorite is the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market
Downtown Farmers' Market sign, 2010

  Check out these great flowers!
Flowers, Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market, 2010

We usually come home with some great produce from the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market.

Whether I'm buying stuff at the farmers' market, or at the grocery store, I do my best to bring reusable bags to tote my groceries home. I'd say I'm good at remembering to bring the reusable bags most of the time. But once in a while I forget.

Livie and I also have a few reusable, BPA-free plastic bottles that we try to use on a regular basis for our drinking water.


We try to also save energy, which is not only good for the planet, but good for our wallets. So we make sure that the lights and/or TV are turned off when we leave a room, and make sure the thermostat's set at a reasonable level based on the weather.

I'm sure there are some other things we do that I'm just momentarily forgetting. But you get the idea . . . 

Please come back next week when the topic is another "No Theme."

Memory Lane Friday is hosted weekly by Lisa at Two Bears Farm. Please click on the button below to read her post for the week, as well as other participants' posts:

2 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I hear you - it's so hard to remember those reusable bags. I need to leave a bunch in the car!

Nancy said...

You are so right. "Earth Day" is not just one day -- it should be every day. We only have so many resources.

Great post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...