Saturday, April 2, 2011

Here's whooo I'm looking at!

Earlier, I talked about the owl nest in my parents' back yard. Click here to read about it.

While on a study break, I headed back to the house and borrowed my dad's camera.

Here are my attempts at getting photos of the owl in its nest:





Of course, its back was to the camera when I finally got out there.

We're estimating it's about a quarter of a mile from the deck where I stood to take the photo. 

Note: Somewhere between 7:15 PM - 7:45 PM CDT this evening, my dad and I saw the "changing of the guard." The smaller male (we think) took off and the larger female (we think) took over. She was doing that "dance" I explained in my previous post.

This is the "arranging of the eggs" we think - where she settled them on her feet before she "sat down" and incubated them. My dad explained that they get the eggs on their feet, like a pigeon would (or like a penguin, if you've seen March of the Penguins) as they incubate them.

2 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Ooooh, love that pic!!
You should go hunting for owl pellets!

Beth Dunn said...

That is SO cool!
xoxo
SC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...