Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lest We Forget

I want to take a moment to remember those of us who willingly put on the uniform of the United States' military, whether it's Marine Corps, Army, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard. I want to tell all veterans, past, present, and future, that I am grateful and thank them for their service; also, I am proud to be in their midst, as we are all brothers and sisters in arms.

I want to remember that we had many past presidents with military backgrounds Not only were they the POTUS, most were also veterans. Here's the list: Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Jackson, W. Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, Lincoln, A. Johnson, Grant, Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, B. Harrison, McKinley, T. Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, L.B. Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, G. H. W. Bush, G. W. Bush.  (I want to note that although FDR was not a veteran,  he was Assistant Secretary of the Navy before becoming President).

Most importantly, I want to remember that many members of my family were in the military, and I'd like to give them a big Hooah!!  In the Army: Rafael Q. Torres, Fidel Q. Torres, Ralph A. Torres, Hector A. Torres, Liberato A. Iannone; in the Navy: Joe Avalos. I am honored to have followed these men into service to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic. My father-in-law is also an Air Force veteran, having retired as an E-8. And I want to remember my husband Andrew, a fellow Air Force veteran.

I also want to remember Capt John L. Chapin, who was my grandfather's Company Commander. He never returned home to see his family again. I want to thank him and his family for his ultimate sacrifice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...