Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My Year in Books 2014

Knock, knock, knock . . . Hello? Any readers around?

Yes, I know it's been a long, LOOONG time since I've posted. I think my inspiration to write disappeared when a creative nonfiction piece I wrote for a writing competition in mid May didn't get past the contest's initial round.

Well, I think that was the last straw, actually. Inspiration had been slowly seeping out of me, as I haven't needed a creative writing outlet (namely, this blog) to balance out the (currently on hold) academic writing for grad school. I also think that I was meeting my creativity needs through a visual outlet by posting on Instagram, instead of being verbally creative here at Under the Desert Sky.

But I've realized something,  I miss my blog! So I'm making a New Year's resolution to get back into posting something on a "regular" basis - if not daily or weekly, at least monthly. How does that sound?

Plus, I didn't want 2014 to fizzle away without any posts since May 2014!

And in previous years, I really enjoyed the "Year in Books" meme that Lisa over at Two Bears Farm got me hooked on, starting with the book list for 2010.

Basically, you want to answer the prompts with book titles you've read in 2014. 

So here's my year in books, 2014 style (some are repeats I'd originally read in previous years, but had wanted to revisit. Most are first-time reads.)  . . .


1.  Describe yourself: Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
 
2.  How do you feel?  Damned if You Do (Robert B. Parker’s Jesse Stone) by Michael Brandman
 
3.  Describe where you currently live.  The Round House by Louise Erdrich
 
4.  If you could go anywhere, where would you go?  A Year in the World: Journeys of a Passionate Traveller by Frances Mayes
 
5.  Your favorite form of transportation?  Ghost Ship by Clive Cussler
 
6.  Your best friend is: The Replacement Child: A Mystery by Christine Barber
 
7.  You and your friends are: High Profile by Robert B. Parker
 
8.  What's the weather like?  Stone Cold by C.J. Box
 
9.  What is life to you?  Mirage by Clive Cussler
 
10.  Favorite time of day?  Night and Day by Robert B. Parker
 
11.  Your Fear?  Death Without Company  by Craig Johnson
 
12.  What is the best advice you have to give? For Immediate Assistance, Pray the Memorare by JCD Rev. Francis J. Hoffman
 
13.  Thought for the day?  Hold the Dark, by William Giraldi
 
14.  How I would like to die: By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder
 
15.  My soul's present condition:  Kindness Goes Unpunished by Craig Johnson
 
16. My family is: On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I hope you enjoy the list. Please visit "The Happily Ever After" blog (written by Christine) for this meme's prompt, My Life According to the Books I Read in 2014


3 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I'm so happy to see you do a recap. You should totally start blogging again! Remember it doesn't have to be anything big - it could be as simple as a picture of Liv like you're doing on Instagram with a short blurb :-)
I have a book recap next week - but have not yet looked at the 2014 life through books meme this year.

Michaele said...

So glad to hear from you again. Happy 2015!

Christine said...

Your answers are fantastic! It's as if you chose books to read just for the prompts. Thanks for sharing!

And I just have to add that I felt like you were articulating my experience and feelings EXACTLY when you wrote about instagram fulfilling your creative needs (it is rather like microblogging, isn't it?) but still finding you missed blogging. Here's to both of us finding our blogging mojo again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...