Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Grandma Magic

This morning, Livie asked me to make her some scrambled eggs and toast with jam for breakfast. She'd wanted to eat her breakfast on "The Special Table" (the breakfast-in-bed table) in my room, while she watched Curious George, instead of eating at the kitchen table. Since I'm feeling a little under the weather, I obliged, not exactly having the energy to debate the issue with a stubborn lively 5-year-old.

Anyway, a few minutes after serving her, I asked, "How's your breakfast?" because I'd noticed she was distracted by the TV and hadn't really been eating much at this point.

"It's okay. . . .Abuelita makes it a lot better."

Pretending to be shocked, I said, "What?!"

"No, no, no, Mama!! Yours is good! I like it! But Abuelita makes it better!"

"I see," I said, nodding my head. "Do you know why?"

"No, Mama. Why?"

"Because she uses 'grandma magic.'"

"Oh . . . it's because she's a grandma and has special magic?"

"Yep. When I was a little girl, Abuelita would make me breakfast and I liked it. But when I visited Oma and she'd make me breakfast, it was the best!"

"Because Oma's your grandma, and Abuelita is your mama?"

"Yep. And you know what? Oma is your great-grandma, so she has extra-special great-grandma magic. Not too many people have great-grandmas, so that's why Oma's magic is extra-special when she uses it on you."

And then Livie reminded me that Oma uses her great-grandma magic to take us out for ice cream.
Great-grandma magic at work! We've taken Oma out for caramel sundaes, July 2011.

6 comments:

Jill said...

This is very, very sweet!

Little Merry Sunshine said...

Love it! Your story brought tears to my eyes! Thanks for sharing it.

Nancy said...

What a cute story! Grandmas are very special and do have magical skills. :)

Michaele said...

I just love and admire your relationship with Liv. I am sure there are a long line of wonderful women in your family.

Randy said...

What a sweet post.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Oh cute! Try as hard as I might, I have never been able to make my mom's rolls. Talk about grandma magic ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...